Athletic Hall of Fame Nominations
Criteria for Inductees
A candidate for induction into the Southwest Athletic Hall of Fame must satisfy the qualifications in one of the following five categories: All categories may include individuals who are living or deceased.
Individual Athletic Achievement
Southwest High graduate who lettered in a varsity sport(s) showed excellence in their athletic endeavors during and/or post-high school, demonstrated good character and who has graduated from Southwest a minimum of ten or more years prior to their nomination.
Team Athletic Achievement
An entire athletic team from a specific year who showed excellence that culminated in city, region, or state championships.
A current or former Southwest coach who has demonstrated exceptional leadership, character, and athletic achievement while coaching at Southwest.
Southwest Boosters Contribution
A person who has been an exceptionally loyal, devoted supporter of Southwest athletics and contributed to the athletic success.
Family Athletic Achievement
A family of individual that has made their mark on Southwest Athletics that spanned a number of years. Although each individual may not have been the top athlete in their sport/class, the combined contributions of the family over many years was exceptional.
Election of Inductees
- Each member of the selection committee will vote for a maximum of six (6) former athletics. There will be a maximum of ten athletes to be admitted each year.
- The selection committee may select a maximum of one (1) former Team per year or none if they so desire.
- The selection committee may select a maximum of two (2) former/current Coaches per year or none if they desire.
- The selection committee may select a maximum of one (1) Southwest Athletic Booster recipient per year or none if they so desire.
- The selection committee may select a maximum of one (1) Southwest Athletic Family recipient each year or none if they so desire.
- A banquet will be held to honor those who have been selected to enter the Southwest Athletic Hall of Fame. The selection committee will choose the time and place for the banquet preferably mid-August to coincide with many class reunions and the annual Southwest Foundation Golf Tournament.
- Each inductee will receive a plaque to honor their achievement and a plaque summarizing all the inductees will be placed in a placed in a prominent position at Southwest High School.
The Selection committee will consist of the following individuals:
- Principal of Southwest High School
- Athletic Director of Southwest High School
- Two (2) members chosen by the Southwest Foundation
- Up to eight (8) additional committee members taken from the Southwest Athletic Hall of Fame committee (or persons at large nominated by the committee) who will serve two year terms with the possibility of reappointment.
- The selection committee will be chaired by head of the Southwest Athletic Hall of Fame committee who will be responsible for coordination of committee assignments, duties, and meetings throughout the year. The chairman will serve a three year term with the possibility of reappointment.
SWHS HOF Committee
Bo Dolphin SW '81
Phil Fischer SW '66
Dan Froehlich SW '75
Jack Rice SW '59
Jeff Rotsch SW '68
Elly Sternberg '00